Monday, March 24, 2008

2 in a Row!

How do you like that? A new post and it's only the next day. If I'm not careful this could become a trend.

Not much new to report other than Chris and I are "this" much closer to having a bona fide doggie door in place by the weekend (my personal goal). Since we're installing it in the back, we had to order a new, solid door to replace 1/2 of the atrium doors that are nothing but glass. Kinda hard to cut a hole for a dog door in glass! So we ordered a new door from Home Depot which took a month to get delivered to the store. Turns out no one that Home Depot deals with makes an exterior door in the dimensions we needed (36 x 80 - what I thought was a standard door size, but I apparently thought wrong), so we ended up with a solid wood interior door that is heavy as sin! My triceps are still burning from lifting the damn thing.

Anyway, it arrived at the store a couple of weeks ago, but sat there about a week after that until Chris could go pick it up. We had to wait until after he got back from his business trip to SoCal (color me jealous!). We got it home and then the door sat around for *another* week until we could pick up the proper tool to cut a hole - a Milwaukee jigsaw. I was just going to use a circular saw, but I'm told that wouldn't have been kosher. The blade wouldn't have gone thru the whole door at once and turning corners would have been a bitch, so Chris tells me.

So he got his new toy and I ended up doing most of the cutting. I was excited to do the work and since Chris isn't all that jazzed about a dog door anyway, he was more than happy to let me do it. Now I can happily add "jigsaw" to the list of power tools I have wielded (with controlled skill, I might add) - next to the power drill, compound mitre saw and scroll saw (in 7th grade shop - I'm amazed I walked away with all fingers from that one!). And voila, we have a dog-door-sized hole in our new door.

The door is currently up on "blocks" and I just threw the first coat of exterior paint on one side of it tonight. I'll be doing that every night until Saturday, and by then it should be ready to mount. WooHoo!! Then all we have to do is train the dog to use it, but he's a smart cookie so I'm hoping it won't take too long...

No comments: