Thursday, June 28, 2007

Best. Birthday. Ever.

The day finally arrived yesterday when I had to come to terms with the fact that I am now *30*. Ugh. I had been sweating it all year, never enjoying my last days as a twenty-something-er. It was not shaping up to be an extraordinary day, either. Work has been so hectic the last couple of weeks, and I was scheduled to be on teleconferences all...day...long. The only thing getting me thru the day was the knowledge that Chris would be taking me out to dinner and I would be getting presents. Then everything started falling into place and the day couldn't have gone better:

1. My telecons got cancelled at the last minute! Woohoo! I was free to 'coast' thru my special day at work.

2. Meredith and Sarah (coworkers) made me a de-lish upside-down apple cake/pie thing that was phenomenally tasty. They also got me all the gear to make my favorite drink, Tequila Sunrises, from scratch. They gave me an electric juicer, oranges, tequila and grenadine. They rock the house, most def. :)

3. Yay! Quittin' time!

4. Got home to open my first present from Chris before dinner: an Aeron Chair!! I've wanted one for SO long and while it's more of a practical gift, Chris really outdid himself on the non-practical stuff to even the score.

5. Dinner. This is where the day became THE BEST BIRTHDAY. EVER. We went to our ordinary, favorite local place for dinner. But what wasn't ordinary about *this* day was my surprise, shock and sheer excitement to find MY PARENTS sitting at the table when I walked in!!! My Dad masterminded the entire thing and they all flew in from Illinois ON A WEDNESDAY to wish me a happy birthday! It was so great to see my mom, my step-mom and my dad that I instantly turned on the waterworks out of pure amazement that everyone kept such a great secret from me. But man am I glad they did, because it was the best gift I got that night. It meant so much to me that they came out.

6. More presents! The best things come in small packages for sure. My dad and step-mom got me a gift certificate to the local nursery. For a budding (no pun intended!) gardener such as myself this is awesome because plants can get expensive! My mom got me a gift certificate to Red Door Spa which I'm really looking forward to. I sure do love a good pampering and don't do it enough for myself. And then, the piece de resistance. Chris pulled out a little blue bag from Tiffany's. Oh...Mah...Gah! First one in my life I've ever gotten. I am SO keeping it. :) Inside was a beautiful necklace that has two diamonds and an aquamarine spaced out over a platinum chain. It's GORGEOUS and since Chris picked it out all on his own, I couldn't be happier with it.

See? How could anyone say my birthday wasn't awesome?? And it's still going on, too. Meredith and Sarah are taking me out for drinks tonight and my friend, Steph, is taking me out to dinner on Friday! But wait, there's more. On Saturday, Chris and I leave for vacation for a whole week of sun and fireworks at Spirit Lake, IA. It may not be a tropical paradise, but it's still loads of fun.

I think 30 is going to be OK after all...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amiable fill someone in on and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you for your information.